Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Being "Rich"

Dictionary.com defines"Rich" as "having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy: a rich man; a rich nation."  If you ask most people if they want to be "Rich"  they will say "Yes!"

I have spent considerable time defining what "Rich" means to me.  I thought this was an important thing to do because once you establish what "Rich" is,  it helps you determine what you are willing to do to get  "Rich"

Here it is:  "Rich" is not holding your breath when they total up your groceries.

Yup, simple isn't it?  I have had money, and I have been really poor.  And the point at which I think I feel good about where I am, is the point that I supply the basic needs of myself and my loved ones.  That's it.  Everything else seems to fall into place when you define it this way. 

I have seen a whole bunch of unhappy people, define what they think is "Rich" by dollars, possessions or status.  As soon as  a person defines what "Rich" is,  it also defines what they are willing to do to get to "Rich".  Since I have set my goal for "Rich" it makes me question how hard I work to keep my job, my time, and my interests to fit the definition.  I am forced to question "Is this really necessary for me to do this in order to be "Rich?"  It has served as a steady rudder for me.

I have always been amazed what others have set up to consider themselves  "Rich."  The saddest thing is, how many are unhappy with their lives until they feel they have reached that level. 
So I guess I am asking you the reader, to ponder what it is that makes you "Rich", your answer may surprise yourself.  Once you clearly define "Rich" by dollars, status, friends, relationships, possessions...then ask yourself how much of what you do actually contributes to that goal.

In the meantime,  according to my gauge, I am "Rich", and very thankful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear ideas.